Alberto Giacometti’s remarkable career traces the shifting enthusiasms of European art before and after the Second World War. As a Surrealist in the 1930s, he devised innovative sculptural forms. And as an Existentialist after the war, he led the way in creating a style that summed up the philosophy’s interests in perception, alienation and anxiety. Although his output extends into painting and drawing, the Swiss-born and Paris-based artist is most famous for his sculpture. And he is perhaps best remembered for his figurative work, which helped make the motif of the suffering human figure a popular symbol of post-war trauma.
1.Life experience and the relationship with his artworks.
- Introduce his life experience, and brief introduction of time period of his career: before and after WWII. Combine:Cultures: Cubism, Egyptian culture and African culture.
- — before WWII: surrealism. influenced by Brancuin (1922 ~）
- –describe his life experience, experience in studio, his artworks, and surrealism。（Spoon Woman）
- how he got influenced by Egyptian culture and African culture （1936 ~ 1940）
- Egyptian Culture （Woman on the Weel）
- —human head period
- — after WWII: the loneliness of his work, how he put his view of world into his artworks
- — 1949 married Annette, who became very important model in his later life（Heads）
2.Spatial Art – Distance and Perspective
- Think about the relationships between people and people by using the space.
- -Consideration of spatial design in his sculpture and drawing pieces.
- -Distance also represent the loneliness.
- The nature of the sculpturing is the feeling of interspace.
- He think the importance of interspace. –Example Ex. Chase Manhattan Plaza, New York
- Telling the story of how did he care about the spatial design and the spatial relationship between sculpture pieces.
- -作品与观众的距离，影响观众怎么理解这个作品。他的作品很瘦，即使离的很近，都会觉得是一个影子。Distance also represent the loneliness. He was playing around the distance and perspectival in his artworks, making these pieces so charming.
- It may bring you different feelings when you appreciate them in different angels or different distances. Ex. foot
- -Giacometti use the space to create environments and meanings for these art works
- In “City Square” (1948), the figures are overwhelmed by a large base, perhaps signalling man’s trifling place in the world. Photo: Val Castronovo
- – the dynamic figure in the drawing
3.Form and Inner Soul
- Sculpture and Drawing
- -the technique used for sculpting
- -color -material & texture:Brozon, Parget
- Smooth to Rough
- -working process, focus-eyes (link)
- Why important to focus on eyes? Influence of Egyption art.
- Research Human Representation: Emotion
- Human representation, sketch, Ingres (Mannerism), Uncanny Valley, V.S Ramachandran
- Egyption ART–human body
- Soul-what does he want to present? –Lonely– Walking Man, Women on the Wheels
- Copy Egyption art, combine: combine what? 对真实灵魂的的追求，egyption art 是一个载体，去表现他的灵：纯粹生命的表达 。 transfer to 什么? Transfer 成为自己的风格。
- -Painting: same thing, talk book Giacometti Portrait–Painting -James Lord. Painting is a process to show himself, show his soul.